True, we had the strike which severely crippled the season. I also saw less TV because I just took so damn many classes during the previous school year. Anywho, these are my definitive top 10 shows of the season:
1. Lost, Season 4, ABC
Surprised? Please, a show so perfectly crafted, where one could easily see the hours of hard labor of the writers deserves no other spot. In terms of sci-fi, my favorite two shows are X-Files and Buffy. The only reason why I would not put Lost at the top is because of the way it is structured. I see Lost as a novel, with each season representing a chapter. This was most apparent with the late introduction of a significant character, Ben, well into the second season. The first season was the exploration of the island and its relative peacefulness, which metaphorically would make it the first chapter where the setting is set. The story began to arch in the second season with the introduction of Ben and so on. Since Lost is a novel, I think it is a bit premature to put it at the top of my sci-fi list. Going into the last episode, it needed to do an average job to secure its spot at the top of my 07-08 list. The last episode, though, unquestionably cemented it.
2. Survivor Micronesia, Season 16, CBS
Yes, you read that right, this was season 16 of reality TV's granddaddy. People watch TV to be entertained. Great insight, I know. I dare anyone to watch this season and not have been entertained week in and week out. Although I am still a fan of the show, I felt the show was getting old. This last season more than revived it. Not that it really matters, since no one will read this, but I thought of putting it as my number one show. However, BEST SEASON EVER.
3. 30 Rock, Season 2, NBC
This was suppose to be a show about the backstage goings-on of a late night sketch show. Ha, so much for that! Although the show is set there, they rarely talk or show any of that show. Instead, the show focuses on hard hitting issues as gays, the war, and nepotism, all of which are as brilliantly done as Arrested Development once did. In fact, and this might be a bit sacrilegious, I would say that 30 Rock is BETTER than Arrested Development. Watch it do what Seinfeld, Arrested Development, or Friends could not do in September, win its second Emmy for Best Comedy.
4. The Office, Season 4, NBC
The season was a bit uneven, but when it was good it was great. This was no more evident than in the season finale. I felt that the season finale was perfect in every way. It had what any season finale should have, which are great surprises. The show also had a bunch of great gags in the final episode. If the producers submit this episode, it'll be a close race for the battle for the second Emmy between 30 Rock and The Office.
5. How I Met Your Mother, Season 3, CBS
The show inched closer to the Friends territory this season. This season the show expanded the traits of each of the characters, using these traits to unearth great comedy from them. We also got closer to finding out who the "Mother" is and I must say, if it is Sarah Chalke, I am very thrilled. It is also great to see Barney grow. Otherwise we would have been stuck with someone as creepy as "future Jack McFarland," doing the same immature shit he was doing when he was younger.
6. Desperate Housewives, Season 4, ABC
The introduction of Dana Delaney character brought new life to the show. It was also incredibly brave to make Carlos blind and actually stick with it. The story line of the Lynette's bratty stepdaughter was also enjoyable. Great improvement over the previous 2 stinker seasons.
7. Big Bang Theory, Season 1, CBS
When I did my best of the year in January, this show was number 10. As I saw additional episodes, the show moved up. It is not for everyone, especially for those people who find the characters obnoxious. I see this show as the nerd version for Frasier: incredibly intelligent characters, as Frasier and Niles were pretentious, but equally as socially inept.
8. Breaking Bad, Season 1, AMC
Unexpected, intriguing and engaging show. I firmly believe Brian Cranston will win an Emmy this year. Watch it happen.
9. Ugly Betty, Season 2, ABC
This show went down only because I am tired of the Gio/Henry/Betty love triangle. It is not interesting. Besides this, though, the show is fantastically gay and funny.
10. Grey's Anatomy, Season 4, ABC
What a way to rebound. Yes, the show's ratings have eroded significantly but the quality has been sustained. The finale undoubtedly provided interesting story lines that could and will be expanded in Season 5.
That it is it.
Agree or disagree about anything, please leave a comment. Come on, I don't ask for much.
Have a great June!
--Luis A.
Saturday, May 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
In case anyone has wondered what an unemployed, balding, pear-shaped Mexican is thinking, wonder no more...

1 comment:
Agree on the Grey's recap.
Post a Comment